Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On a lighter note...

I'm on the road again, this time in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.  I'll be here for a few days, my first visit since 1994.

I've had what I think of as a stereotypical Scottish evening.  It's misty, cold, and dark.  I've had a pub dinner with a great warm beer.  I took a walk along the Royal Mile in the mist and cold, listening to a saxophonist playing sad jazz - OK, if it were really stereotypical, that would've been bagpipes, right?  I watched a football match on TV (Celtic vs. Manchester United).   One thing that seems out of place: lots of American students walking along and chatting.

Apologies to any UK readers out there who I have just offended.

It's also Guy Fawkes Night (aka Bonfire/Fireworks Night) in the UK, so there are scattered fireworks going off around the city.  I overheard two American students talking about the fireworks; Student #1 asked what was going on, Student #2 tried to explain.  The friendly UK students at the next table chimed in with more details.  It was actually pretty interesting to listen in and hear lots of little details I didn't know about.

Time for bed.

1 comment:

cityrambler said...

Glad you enjoyed Guy Fawkes night in Edinburgh.

Had you heard of walk talk tours?- the downloadable audio walking tours for independent travellers like you. They really are a "must" if you want to explore at your own pace. There are two in Edinburgh, five in London and they are also in York and Manchester.

Take a look at www.walktalktour.com and see what you think.