Thursday, January 8, 2009

Trip Summary

Okay folks. Sorry about that premature posting. I think I'm out of practice. That's what three weeks of vacation will do to you :)

Auntie Geek met us at SFO and drove us to our hotel in San Francisco. The next drizzly day we walked along the waterfront to get some clam chowder and ride a cable car. Along the way, we saw a muni painted to look like a ZVV bus. Throughout the city there were buses/trams painted with the markings of other cities' public transport colors.


We then took BART to the Mission District in search of Mexican food. We ended up a place for yummy pupusas. Zürich Daddy Geek stayed in the city for the rest of the week and Auntie Geek dropped Little Geek Girl and me off at ZDG's parents' house outside of the Bay Area.

In no particular order:

We played with friends in Colorado, Lafayette, Menlo Park, and Davis. LGG and I flew to CO to visit our friends. After nine hour and six hour flights, the two hour flight to Denver was a piece of cake.

LGG played with five cats and two dogs. LGG insisted we take pictures of most of them, but I will spare you the details. Let's say, LGG learned that cats really don't like it when you pull their tails.

We met three new kids, including LGG's newest cousin who was born the day we flew from Zürich to D.C.

We drove all over the place. Our farthest extremes were Santa Rosa, Sacramento, Mountain View, and Fremont.

LGG was introduced to John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together. Therefore we listened to the Twelve Days of Christmas it seemed like 1200 times.

We had lots of family time. ZDG's sister's family lives in the same town as ZDG's parents. Auntie Geek lives about 30 minutes away. My parents came up and stayed with Auntie Geek. My brother and cousin live about 1.5 hours away. ZDG's grandma also lives about 1.5 hours away.

Auntie Geek and I had a nice vegetarian lunch at Ubuntu in Napa.

ZDG and I had our date night at Bouchon in Yountville.

LGG saw Bolt with me, The Tale of Despereaux with ZDG, and and near the end of the trip we ordered Kung Fu Panda On Demand because we were too exhausted to do anything else.

I read five library books.

We went to In-N-Out Burger three times and had Mexican food as often as our families could bear.

And, Little Geek Girl lost her first tooth!


We first noticed it was loose on the 20th and by the 29th it was very loose. We had gone to a bouncy house place with her cousins and stopped to have a snack. And the next thing we knew, her tooth was gone. So like her father, she swallowed her first tooth. Luckily the tooth fairy accepted the explanation letter and left two half dollars under her pillow.

2 comments:

MW said...

Actually, those really are imported tram cars from around the world running on the F line in San Francisco! I saw the Zurich car after my first visit but I never managed to see it this summer before we came back. But there it is!

How funny you went to Davis, that's where I grew up and lived until rather recently. Zurich is a big change! I'm always amazed how many people have heard of or have been to Davis. Makes the world seem smaller than ever.

Zurich Mama Geek said...

Wow -- that's cool. We'll have to try to ride one the next time we're in San Francisco.

I had friends who were at Davis at the same time I was at Berkeley so I would visit regularly. Davis has great playgrounds for kids and a great farmer's market.