Thursday, April 30, 2009

I'm not ready for Costco

We lived in Zürich for 15 months.  Long enough to survive the stress of finding an apartment in a tight housing market, settle in, and realize that we would have been happy to stay longer, but life happens and here we are back in the U.S.

Today I went to Costco to get a membership and a vacuum cleaner, among other things.  (Mom had been paying for my membership previously but I decided that maybe I'm old enough now to pay for my own membership).  Costco is a warehouse store where you can buy large volumes of stuff at reduced prices.  The joke was that in Switzerland, you would pay twice as much for half as much (the anti-Costco).  

However, I'm not ready to buy tons of stuff at bargain prices.  Although that's what I'd do in Zürich.  If my laundry detergent was on sale and I had a free hand, I would buy it.  And then I ended up giving away two bottles of the stuff when we moved.  I don't know why, but I'm just not ready to do it here.  

4 comments:

Global Librarian said...

I really, really miss Costco.

loloreen said...

Yes, Costco can sometimes be considered a contact sport! But, there is hope...after years of membership and countless shopping experiences, I have learned to "dive and drive"...Rule number one: leave Yeh Yeh home! Rule number two: remember your shopping list. Rule number three: don't look around! Get what is on the list and GET OUT! Words of wisdom from old Nai Nai!

Zurich Mama Geek said...

GL -- Costco was very important when we were in the diaper and wipe stage. Maybe I'm not ready to fill the apartment with stuff right now because it's so empty and it would be depressing to have huge packages of toilet paper and paper towels and no furniture.

silu said...

It is really a nice post for following us.

english to spanish translation