Thursday, October 2, 2008

Chocolate Cube Cookies

A couple of months ago, I posted about my confusion about baking chocolate.  Tanya at Expat Chow pointed out that they do have chocolate chips here, but they're actually chocolate cubes and packaged in an opaque bag.  Now that I knew what I was looking for I was able to easily find them (must get over thinking things come in packages that I'm used to).

Here's a bag of them.  


Here's a picture of Little Geek Girl modeling a chocolate cube, but I think it's already been eaten.  She's a cube off the old chocolate loving mother.


In preparation for having friends over this weekend, we made a batch of my favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough.  I usually add a mix of semi-sweet and milk, but for today's adventure I used all semi-sweet.  Next time I'll have to remember to get a bar of milk chocolate to add to the cookies.

Back in July, the New York Times had an article on tips for chocolate chip cookies.  One of the tips was to let the cookie dough age to let the dough fully absorb the eggs.  So, we baked a few cookies (just to check the dough, you know) and the rest of the dough will age in the refrigerator until Saturday.  We might even leave some for Zürich Daddy Geek to have when he gets home on Sunday.


1 comment:

Jessica said...

That is awesome. I was just thinking about chocolate chip cookies today! I am going on the hunt for the chocolate cubes this weekend. Thank YOU and thank ExpatChow!