Thursday, December 11, 2008

Kreisbüro and Airport all on the same day

Our residence permits expire in January and we've been waiting for paperwork to renew them.  Zürich Daddy Geek's department secretary assured us that everything would be fine.

Well, we finally got a letter from the Bevölkerungsamt today.  Since I didn't have anything better to do other than pack and clean to get ready for our trip to the U.S., Little Geek Girl and I went downtown to hand the letter off to ZDG.  Since he was interviewing prospective new hires the plan was for me to slip the letter under the door.  But that wasn't possible, so I had to hunt down the department mailboxes.  We ran into ZDG's boss in the elevator and LGG asked him why wasn't there an "A" floor.  Turns out there is one, but the military gets one floor of all federal buildings and that's why we can't access the A floor.

Anyways, it turns out that they should have sent us a form with the letter.  But they didn't.  And since we're going to be gone for almost three weeks, ZDG needs to get to the Kreisbüro when it opens tomorrow at 8:30 am to get the form, fill it out, and mail it to the department secretary so the paperwork will be waiting for us when we return.  Did I mention we have a flight leaving at 11:55 am?  We should be able to make it, but it will definitely not be good for my anxiety.  Did I mention I really really really really don't like it when things like this happen.

Even in kindergarten you have to write a letter to the school president asking permission for your child to miss school.  We figured that since this was our last year to get an easy approval and since ZDG had a conference in San Francisco the week before LGG's winter break we would all go.  It will be nice to see family, do a little shopping, and read all the library books that my sister's checking out for me.

No comments: