Monday, December 8, 2008

Why we're not Christmas shopping in Switzerland

Zürich Daddy Geek's office has moved to downtown Zürich, so on Friday afternoon, Little Geek Girl and I decided to pay a visit to the new digs. ZDG has a nice view of the Limmat River and the Käferberg/Chäferberg (I've seen it spelled both ways).

Then LGG and I went to check out the Singing Christmas Tree. Before the kids started singing, LGG had a ride on the tiger on the little carousel. LGG these days believes she's a cat, a tiger specifically, so when she saw the tiger she definitely wanted to ride on it. Then we met ZDG for dinner and went to the Hauptbahnhof to look at the Christmas Market and the Christmas tree. The Christmas tree was quite beautiful, covered in Swarovski crystals and lit up. At the base of the Christmas tree were numerous examples of Swarovski figurines.

As we wandered through the market, we ran across a booth selling novelties, and this little guy:


Now, considering Saturday was the 6th of December and the day Samichlaus visits kids in Switzerland, I made up an excuse to separate from ZDG and LGG and went back to purchase it. However, at first I wasn't going to, because it was CHF 15. As in 12.40 USD. But, I knew LGG would love him and I decided to try not to think about it too much and just buy it. I have purposely avoided searching on the internet to see how much it would be because I just don't want to know. But that is why we're waiting until we get to the US to do our Christmas shopping.

So, apparently organized parents arrange for Samichlaus to come to their house or meet him in the forest on the 6th of December. The other option, and the one went went with, is to leave your boots out the night before. Amazingly when she woke up, she had forgotten about them and we actually had to point them out to her. It was pretty funny actually. "My leg hurts, I can't walk." And then she saw the boots and miraculously could walk again.

When she found the tiger duck she was thrilled. "Samichlaus knew the right kid to give this duck to. Because I'm a tiger. Roar."

No comments: