Friday, June 6, 2008

Reasons to learn German/Swiss-German

For the most part I can function with my very basic German.  No deep conversations, but I can ask for help, purchase things, and be polite.

However, there are several reasons I need to get up to speed:

1. So I can understand and talk to kindergarten and neighbor kids.  

2. So I can talk to the parents of other kids.  In LGG's class of nineteen kids, four of them are kids with parents that speak English.  Two of those families will be leaving this summer.  And there might be more kids with English-speaking parents that we haven't met yet.  But that's still a lot of non-English-speaking parents that I can't talk to (beyond hello, it's a pretty day, etc.).

3. So I can understand the message on the dentist's phone.  Fortunately ZDG's office mate can kind of understand Swiss-German and was able to tell me the phone number of the dentist's other office.  Unfortunately the tooth that we're trying to save by root canal fractured a little bit today.  I wanted to find out if I needed to be seen immediately, or if it could wait until next week.  I'm trying to not let it get me down too much, but it's frustrating to have dental issues in another country.  

LGG didn't have school yesterday or today due to teacher training.  I knew it at one point, but forgot, so we did not have alternative activities arranged.  And it's raining again (which is nice temperature-wise but harder to play at the playground).  I love the little girl, but sometimes she will not stop talking.  Last night we had LGF and parents over for playtime and dinner and this weekend we'll have a visitor and a brunch to keep us busy.  And some Euro 2008 football matches to watch (2 a day for 12 days).

No comments: