Friday, June 20, 2008

Some potentially useful Swiss German sites

Earlier today I was clearing out my ridiculously full email inbox.  I drive ZDG nuts because I don't really file my messages.  I found an old message from our Swiss friend inviting us over for Zvieri at 4 pm for cake and coffee.  I decided to do some searches on the internet and ran across some useful websites about Swiss German.  Someone told me that it would be about three years before the Swiss German would click, but it couldn't hurt to learn a word or two every once in a while--especially since we receive notes from the teachers referring to things like Znüni (morning snack).  And Zvieri means afternoon snack.  According to this page, Znüni comes from zum Nüni (to/with 9 o'clock) and Zvieri comes from zum Vieri (to/with 4 o'clock).

So here they are.  Have fun!

A wikipedia entry on Helvetism.  This includes a long list of Swiss German words
A wikipedia entry on Swiss German linguistics.  
And this Swiss German Children's Dictionary.  

Later in the evening after I published this post I stumbled across this sticky from englishforum.ch listing resources for learning Swiss German.  

No comments: