Monday, May 4, 2009

Okay, okay, I'm going to the doctor

Dear aunties and cousins, I have scheduled an appointment for tomorrow to have my ears checked.  No more fevers at night and I think it's getting better, but yes, it's better to be safe than sorry.

So, now for the compare and contrast with Switzerland part of the post.  In Switzerland, everyone is required to have health care and you are required to prove it within three months of arrival.  We actually didn't choose our company right away, because we were waiting until we had a permanent address and the insurance rates are dependent on your residence.  So even though we arrived in the country on January 10, we didn't sign up for insurance until the beginning of April.  But if anything had happened health-wise in those first three months, it would have covered it retroactively (because of course we had to pay the premiums for those months).  

Zürich Daddy Geek and I never had a need to go to the doctor while we were there, so we don't know how hard it would have been to get an appointment, but it was pretty easy to get Little Geek Girl in with a pediatrician. 

Now we're in the U.S.  In California and Colorado we had always been pretty happy with Kaiser, but we weren't sure how good it was here and so we decided to go with a PPO.  I sent a couple emails out over the weekend asking locals for practice recommendations.  I call the first one, they're accepting new patients, but not until July.  The second practice, no appointments for two weeks, but I can call back this afternoon to see if they have any cancellations for tomorrow.  Finally, third practice, I can get an appointment for tomorrow.  What if I was in excruciating pain?  I think I need to call LGG's pediatric office to find out their policy on same day appointments.

2 comments:

TeacherSister said...

I'm glad you were persistent and found someone with an opening. (Sorry about the typing in the last post, I was using my netbook which sometimes I miss the keys on...and obviously didn't check my work!) You're smart to get the initial physical/registration/be a "patient" not a newbie out of the way before LGG needs that same day care! Now you and ZDG have to do the same thing. :-)

Anonymous said...

What I've found in So Cal (truly rude awakening after having only one doctor from birth to well... leaving Redding) is that for anything other than the things that can truly wait, I've had to use urgent care. Super frustrating! I can't speak for the docs where you are but I know it can take weeks to see a primary care doc out here which is really annoying when you're hurting or sick!