Saturday, September 13, 2008

Italian Prune Plum Crisp

One of the fun things about living in another country is discovering different foods.  Last month, a small stone fruit started showing up in the stores.  Zwetschgen, or Italian Prune Plums.


About the same time, Tanya wrote about her plum flame tart over on Expat Chow.  Sounded yummy so I thought I would try to bake something too.  I found a recipe for a crisp over on Kitchen Heat and last night I made a smaller scale version.

The plums are easy to pit, so it didn't take long to pit and quarter them.  Here they are waiting for their topping.


And after topping and baking:


Very yummy with some vanilla ice cream.  And it was good for breakfast too.

Edited to say Crisp instead of Tart

4 comments:

loloreen said...

Small world! Our local news station had a cooking segment this week about an Italian plum pizza...looked very much like your tart...I'll see if I can find the recipe...Lo and behold! Raley's has the plums!! I was amazed...

MW said...

Oh wow! I've been wondering about them myself. Are they good on their own? I'm still getting adjusted to buying food more often, cooking more, the smaller fridge, etc... so I've slowly been working my way through unfamiliar produce. I might need to give those a try next. Thanks!

MW said...

I gave it a try and it came out so good! Thank you, thank you!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simplywithstyle/sets/72157607317409232/

Zurich Mama Geek said...

mw -- they're yummy, aren't they? I'm a little bummed that when I went to get more they were a little on the overripe side. At least I now know for next year. And welcome to Switzerland!