Monday, September 29, 2008

New Dishwasher

On Friday evening my cell phone rang around 6 pm.  I answered the phone and it was the appliance people.  

Small diversionary comment:  I still can't used to answering the phone "Frau Mylastname hier", or "Mylastname hier" and I have even more trouble deciding what to say when I call people.  So I still say "hello".  Although I note that the Swiss friend I was visiting answers her phone with her first name, so maybe I'll try that.

They asked if it was okay for the dishwasher to be replaced on Monday between 11 am and 1 pm.  I switched to English because I needed to ask what to do if I had to leave to pick up LGG from kindergarten.  After they found an English speaker, they explained that if I couldn't be at home, I could leave my key in the postbox.  Mailboxes here consist of two parts.  A locked portion where junk mail and letters are deposited and a doored cubby for packages that you don't have to sign for.  I guess you can't really leave the key under the doormat, since there isn't one.

Today the repairman promptly showed up at 11 am and was out of here just in time for me to go up the hill to pick up LGG.  We now have a shiny new Electrolux dishwasher.  And instruction manuals in English, German, French, and Italian.  Which I should probably read to find out what kind of dishwasher salt I need to get for it.  But blogging is much more fun.

No comments: