Saturday, September 13, 2008

To pee or not to pee

There's a saying that you can't make a child pee/poop, eat/drink, or sleep and with Little Geek Girl that is certainly the case.  If you don't want to know anymore about our child's toilet habits, please feel free to skip this post.

Friday morning I was able to secure an appointment for 2:30 pm.  The receptionist said "half past two" and I repeated "halb drei" to confirm that we were talking about the same time.  I picked LGG from Kindergarten and fed her lunch.  On days when she has afternoon class I encourage her to use the toilet before we go back but I didn't encourage her to use the toilet after lunch.  Historically she can hold her pee for a long time and I was hoping she would wait until the doctor's appointment to make her pee for an urine analysis.  Alas, the one time we don't want her to pee and she does, at 1:45 pm.  So I start giving her water to drink -- at home, on the bus, when we get to the doctor's office.  Zürich Daddy Geek meets us at the office and we try several times to get a urine sample.  No luck.  The doctor examines her and she doesn't have a fever, but he needs a urine sample to determine if she does or does not have an infection.  So we've been told to give her liquids and walk to encourage a pee.  She's never had Coke, but it is recommended as a diuretic.  

So ZDG and LGG go to the playground and I go get a Coke.  Did I mention that LGG doesn't like carbonated drinks?  Eventually we get some coke and more water inside her.  She wants to stay and play, but we decide since we're there we'll go shop for some shoes.  We buy some new rain boots and sturdy school shoes (Mary Jane shoes aren't going to keep her feet dry very much longer).  At 4 pm we go back to office to try and make a pee.  No go.  And the office closes at 5 pm.

So we go to Starbucks to get some coffee and hot chocolate.  LGG really wants a donut, but we tell her not until she makes a pee.  We go back to the office around 4:40 pm and finally success.  They test the urine and they're 90% certain that she does not have an infection.  So we'll go back on Tuesday afternoon to test her urine again.  This time I have a cup so I can collect her urine if she pees before we want her to.

Afterwards we went back to the playground and she stayed long enough that she forgot about the donut and I had time to go to the library to pick up a book for me and a movie for LGG.  Later that night ZDG and LGG watched one of my favorite Disney movies -- Robin Hood.  Oh he's so handsome... just like his reward posters.  

No comments: