Thursday, May 22, 2008

A sight I'm still not used too...

One of the goals of kindergarten is to teach the kids to be independent enough to walk to school by themselves.  For the most part there are kindergartens situated so that most kids won't have to walk very far to class.  We're an unusual case because even though we live right by one primary school that has a couple of kindergarten classes, Little Geek Girl is actually going to a kindergarten about half a mile away (sorry ZDG I can do metric in the lab and in the grocery store but still not for distances).  On my way to picking up LGG from school today I passed by a group of kindergarten kids (easily identified by their bright orange "V"s).  I'm guessing that they went up the hill to the primary school by LGG's kindergarten to use the gym for P.E.  Nineteen kids between five and seven years old walking down the street in pairs and threes, without a supervising adult.  I don't think I'll ever get used to that sight.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Here here. I heartily agree. There are always kids running about, alone, in my neighborhood, and while I know more than likely nothing bad will happen to them, the sight still is slightly unnerving.

Thanks for setting me straight about the orange vests. I was wondering why some kids wore them and others didn't. I thought it was a protective parent thing - my future kids will wear them until they're 18! But it's the kindergarteners.... I see. ;)

Zurich Mama Geek said...

I believe kindergarteners and younger (ie kids in Spielgruppe or Kinderkrippe) go out in the vests. Yesterday I saw a group of really little ones all wearing cute orange caps.

The primary school kids seem to wear the huge squarish backpacks with lots of creature keychains hanging from them.

The older kids seem to eat way too much junk food on the buses.